A player between the ages of 13 and 17 who is currently properly registered with USA Hockey may serve as a student coach under the following conditions:
- Must attend a training session conducted by the local hockey association.
- Must always be under the supervision of a carded, screened adult coach during all practices, clinics, try-outs, and in the locker room.
- May help out at practices, clinics, try-outs only. (May not play during scrimmages or games).
- Must wear a helmet with full face shield, gloves, and skates while on the ice. Must wear helmet during games while on the bench.
- May only work with players at least one full playing age level down.
- The organization that is using the student coach must provide a form indicating on what team he/she is participating as a student coach, and, if applicable, what team he/she is properly registered/rostered as a player.
- Upon reaching the age of 18, the student coach must comply with all USA Hockey coaching and screening rules and regulations.
- May not act as the head coach or assistant coach during practices or games.